Then consider entering the 2012 Rising Star Creative Writing Competition!
Here are the deets:
• The competition is open to writers in Oregon, Washington and Idaho in three age categories: 15-18, 19-25, and 25+.
• Genres include Fiction, Literary Nonfiction, and Poetry.
• Submitting writers who have won in the past two years may not submit in their winning genre(s).
• Submitting writers may not have published a first book or chapbook, but may have had individual stories, essays or poems in print.
• Poets may submit two unpublished poems (no more than four single-spaced pages, total); prose writers may submit one unpublished double-space piece of no more than 3,000 words per genre. “Publication” includes appearance on any Internet source except a blog.
• Use one-inch margins, Times Roman Typeface, and a 12-point type. Submissions must be in Microsoft Word® format. Entries will not be returned.
• The authors’ name, mailing address, phone number, email address, genre of submission, age category, and word count must appear on the cover sheet with entry.
• Entrant’s short bio should include information about themselves and their interest in writing. Winners, when notified, must submit a photo (headshot preferred) for use in publicity and the annual anthology of student writing.
• Entries must be received no later than 12 midnight on the submission deadline of March 10, 2012.
• Entries dated after this date will not be read.
• For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541.647.2233.