UNA-USA Portland Chapter announces the
2012 Oregon & SW Washington
HIGH SCHOOL ESSAY COMPETITION
on the UNITED NATIONS
The Topic for 2012 is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
“Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home – so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world. Yet they are the world of the individual person; the neighborhood he lives in; the school or college he attends; the factory, farm, or office where he works. Such are the places where every man, woman, and child seeks equal justice, equal opportunity, equal dignity without discrimination. Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere. Without concerted citizen action to uphold them close to home, we shall look in vain for progress in the larger world.”…….Eleanor Roosevelt
Please have your essay address Article 25 of the Declaration to coincide with the theme of this year’s UNA Human Rights Day event on December 5, 2012 where the awards will be presented. Please support your essay with examples from current events.
ARTICLE 25 – Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
- Essay must be 250 – 600 words and be double spaced.
- Students must use their own words.
- References must be used for borrowed material.
- A Submission Form with student, teacher, & school information must accompany essay.
- Essay is due November 9, 2012.
- The First Prize winner will receive $200. In addition, the First Prize Winner and his or her teacher will receive tickets to theWorld Affairs Council of Oregon’s International Speaker Series.
- The Second Prize and Third Prize Winners will receive $100 and $50 respectively.
- The Seven Honorable Mention winners will each receive a pamphlet about the United Nations.
- All competitors will receive a UNA-USA Certificate of Merit.
Please email your application and essay to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also pick up an application form at the Writing Center table in the Library.